St Francis Xavier’s, Narrabri
1882 Nandewar St – current site
1897 Nandewar St – opposite to current site
1975 Nandewar St – current site (opened 1/2/1976)
Principals and enrolled number of students:
|Year||Principal||Feb Enrolment||Aug Enrolment||Oct Enrolment|
|1992||Maria Harres rsj|
|1993-1996||Johanna O’Sullivan rsj|
|1997- 2001||Jenny Scally rsj|
|2002 – 2004||Tony Hunter||Aug 2003 -284|
|2005 –||Andrew Pinelli|
Feb 2007 – 309
Feb 2008 – 307
Feb 2009 – 286
|Aug 2005 – 298|
History of School
In 1882, the first school was established under the direction of the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart. The school opened with an enrolment of 35 pupils.
In 1889, the Sisters of Mercy came to Narrabri and took over the administration of the school. The school enrolment at this times was 100. The Sisters of Mercy were to remain in the school for 81 years.
In 1897, a new school was established on the block of land opposite to where the present school is situated. All the primary classes were taught in this new school, while the old school (situated where our present school is) became a select school for Senior pupils.
In 1933, the school enrolment was 270 pupils including both primary and secondary students.
In 1970, the Sisters of St Joseph returned to Narrabri. In 1975, the present school was erected and was blessed by Bishop H J Kennedy and opened by Hon J L Carrick, Minister for Education on 1st February, 1976.
No further information has been provided at this stage. Please forward any information to the Catholic Schools Office