Teacher Accreditation – NESA
On 1 January 2017, the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) replaced the Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards (BOSTES).
To work as a teacher in a NSW school, you must be accredited with NESA if you fall into one of the following categories:
- have not taught in NSW before 1 October 2004,
- have had a 5 year continuous absence from teaching,
- are an overseas or interstate teacher, new to teaching in NSW
- creating an online account with NESA
- completing an online application for accreditation with NESA
- providing qualifications for assessment by NESA, and
- applying for a Working with Children Check
Teachers who have worked in a NSW school since before 1 October 2004, and have not had a break from teaching of more than 5 years, do not currently need to be accredited. Accreditation requirements will apply to all school teachers from 1 January 2018.
For further information regarding Teacher Accreditation please refer to the NESA Teacher Accreditation website;