St Michael’s, Manilla
- 1904-1938 used church building
- 1939 Old church now recognized as the school
- 1958 Present site for school officially blessed
- 1964 Secondary section of school closed
Principals and enrolled number of students:
|Year||Principal||Feb Enrolment||Aug Enrolment||Oct Enrolment|
|1987-1992||Mr Tony Gillies||Feb 1992 – 69||July 1987 – 85|
|1993-1995||Mr Noel Hurley||Feb 1993 – 63||Oct 1995 – 63|
|1996-2000||Mr Paul McDonald|
Feb 1996 – 69
Feb 2000 – 73
|2001- 2004||Mr Stuart McKinnon||Aug 2003 – 77|
|2005-||Mrs Geraldine Chapman|
Feb 2007 – 52
Feb 2008 – 61
Feb 2009 – 69
|Aug 2005 – 62|
History of the School
The following excerpt taken from “The Catholic Church in Manilla – 1894-1994 – A brief history of St Michael’s”
There were 104 students enrolled in 1904, and by 1906 there were 123 pupils. Congregational statistics of 1916 show that pupil enrolment had lowered to 86, music pupils totalled 33, and 7 boarders were cared for, while the Community remained at four Sisters. Statistics of 1942 show that school enrolments remained steady at 82 pupils.
Soon after the arrival the Sisters purchased the residence of J F Wearne on Railway Hill, and this was converted into a Convent, which was opened by Bishop O’Connor in November 1905.
In 1911 John Ferry sold his land to the Trustees of the Catholic Church, and it was on this land that the present Convent was built in 1914. The old Convent, The Railway Hill Residence became the Presbytery, where the priest lived until 1943.
Up till 1938 the Church building built in 1894 of St Michael’s was used for school purposes as well. In May, 1938 Bishop Coleman officiated at the opening of a new Church, built on the corner of Court and Rowan Streets. The new presbytery was opened by Bishop Doody in 1948. Unfortunately fire destroyed the existing Church on 18th August 1971. A new Church, the present one was blessed and opened by His Lordship, Bishop H J Kennedy on 28th May, 1972.
In 1939 when the Church of St Michael’s was built, the original church building was converted into a school. The first Catholic School, actually built as a school, was the present St Michael’s School. It was built on the site, on the rock foundations of St Michael’s of 1894, between the present Church and Convent. Bishop Doody officially blessed and opened this school on 27th July, 1958. The Parish Priest at the time was Monsignor O’Brien.
The Secondary division of the School was closed in December, 1964.
No further information has been provided at this stage. Please forward any information to the Catholic Schools Office