- St Mary’s, Emmaville
Religious Communities throughout the Parish’s history:
- Sisters of Mercy – 1885
In July 1885, Mother Mary Vincent Mulhall, having come from Tullamore in Ireland with one other professed Sisters and a Postulant was invited at the request of Bishop Torreggianni, to found a Mercy community at Emmaville, “a rough and ready tin and arsenic mining town in the north of the diocese” (letter: Sr M Francesca d 1962). This community of Sisters established a primary school and later a secondary school and a girl’s boarding school. With the demise of the mining industry the population decreased remarkably. The school was closed in 1961.